We’re in the frigid depths of winter in Philadelphia, so naturally, it got us thinking about warmer climates and crochet!
At Kelbourne Woolens, we think summer and crochet go together like peanut butter and jelly. Crochet works up quickly and beautifully using lighter weight yarns and natural fibers, is a versatile medium, invites color play, and is especially appealing for summer garments, accessories, and home decor.
This year we are launching our first crochet collection just in time for the summer solstice. This collection is a platform for all crochet designers, but particularly for those from underrepresented communities. To be very clear, we are asking designers both new and established from the BIPOC community to contribute to this collection.
We’ve created a Pinterest mood board to spark and inspire your creativity. As you’ll see this collection should capture a care-free, feminine vibe. We’re looking for women’s wear tanks, vests, camisoles, dresses, skirt, and any light and breezy layer you think pairs well with summer living. For accessories, we’re always partial to shawls and stoles, but we’d also like to see bags of all shapes and sizes. Have some fun with home decor—pillows, wall hangings, rugs, trivets, and even a crocheted cactus or succulent are desired for this collection.
Which techniques excite you? How does tapestry crochet work in a bag or pillow? Or does a funky and fun Tunisian crochet shawl tickle your fancy? Tell us! We want to know!
When thinking about your design consider the following Kelbourne Woolens yarns and their color palettes:
Perennial (60% superwash Merino, 25% Suri alpaca, 15% nylon; 497 yds (454 meters) / 100 gram skein)
Recommended gauge: 28-36 sts = 4″ (10 cm)
Recommended hook size: B-1 – D-3 (2.25-3.25 mm)
Mojave (60% cotton, 40% linen; 185 yds (169 meters) / 50 gram skein)
Recommend gauge: 22-24 sts = 4″ (10 cm)
Recommended hook size: US 4-6 (3.5 – 4 mm)
For bags, home decor, or toys, please consider:
Germantown (100% N. American Wool , 4-ply ; 220 yds / 100 gram skein) Made in the U.S.A.
Recommended gauge: 16-20 sts = 4” (10 cm)
Recommended hook size: G-6 – I-9 (4-5.5 mm)
Swatching in KW yarn is not required for submissions.
We are accepting digital submissions for Crochet Summer ‘19 at firstname.lastname@example.org. All submissions should including the following for consideration:
- A written description of the design, including all techniques, stitches, and construction details
- A clear photograph or photographs of your swatch
- A detailed sketch of your intended design
- A schematic with all measurements and sizes (if applicable)
- A recommended Kelbourne Woolens yarn
- Your legal name, print name and preferred pronouns (if applicable or desired), mailing address, email address, and any applicable social accounts (i.e. Ravelry, Instagram)
- We pay a flat fee for commissioned designs determined by varying factors (i.e. complexity, size, gauge)
- Kelbourne Woolens requires a one-year period of exclusive, first-publish rights after which the rights revert back to you
- We will return your sample 1-year after publication
- We tech edit all patterns, but we require designers to grade garments and accessories if the design is available in multiple sizes
- To ensure our patterns encompass a broad range, we send all of our designers a style sheet that includes our sizing guidelines. We have always been committed to creating a size range that includes all women, and most of our designs range from as small as a 32” bust up to a 60” bust, depending on the garment
- We provide yarn support for all accepted designs
Submissions due: February 18, 2019
Samples and patterns due: April 9, 2019
If you have any questions please let us know here or email us at email@example.com
We’re looking forward to your submissions!