Last summer, while we were at Squam, we had the opportunity to hang out a bit with Thea Colman, the hilarious designer behind Baby Cocktails. At the marketplace she picked up a skein of Canopy Worsted in tanager, a bright, tropical blue.
After some brainstorming with Courtney (We’re always up to talk shop, especially when delicious drinks are involved), the idea for the Tiki Collection was born!
“It was this yarn, in this color that made me think tropical beach.
And once I started thinking Scorpion Bowl, the hat idea dictated the whole Tiki concept. I wanted to play with depth and texture, mix in vibrant colors and happy details — take the lushness and the color of Polynesia and bringing it to winter accessories, right?
So, Scorpion Bowl features this gorgeous tealy blue shade – worked up into a distinct, deeply textured lace edging and crown detail – with a happy pom, and a stretch of lovely stockinette.”
• Yarn: 1 skein of Fibre Company Canopy, (50/30/20% baby alpaca/merino/viscose, 200 yds per skein) Shown in Tanager.
• Needles: US#6/4.5mm 16” circular needle, or size to get gauge. DPNs for crown shaping.
• Notions: Darning needle, stitch holder, pom pom maker or cardboard
• Size: Depth: 8.25” Width: 19” in stockinette, 17.25 in twisted rib. Rib stretches when worn.
• Gauge: 5.5 sts/7 rnds” per 1” in twisted rib, 5 sts/7 rnds per 1” in stockinette. Each lace repeat opens up to just under 2.25” wide. Based on final blocked fabric.
Scorpion Bowl is available as a part of the full Tiki Collecion on Ravelry here, or individually here. – KGO
All images © Thea Colman